Tuesday, February 12, 2013

River Fishing

I personally love to fish the river and I think it is one of the most enjoyable ways to fish. There is not really as much cost involved as you don’t necessarily need a boat and the river is often closer than the ocean. I also love fishing the river because I started when I was young.

When I was a little boy my parents took me on a trip to fish the Kitimat River just west of Terrace, BC. I am sure I went river fishing with them earlier however this is the first trip I remember clearly.  I remember seeing the carcasses of dead salmon floating in the shallow pools we waded through and I remember my parents explaining to me how the spawning process works.

My parents were fishing for the large chum salmon that were running at that time. This required more strength than either me or my brother had at the time. It also required more height to be able to cast the large setup that we were using. My parents had smaller rods for us and we would cast small spoons out into the river fishing for pink salmon which were more abundant and easier to catch.

There were so many pink salmon that we could literally drag our lures through a back eddy and snag the salmon by the large hump on their back. This is still one of the fondest fishing memories I have as my whole family was able to fish together sometimes having double and triple headers making it all the more exciting. My parents were also able to catch some huge chum that my brother and I later hauled back to the van on a large stick over our shoulders. We had our picture taken with these salmon that were the same height as we were and I will hopefully find a way to get that picture to the website.

In the years since then I have had the opportunity to fish many other rivers including; the Skeena, the Bella Coola, the Green, the Thompson, the Puyallup and the Bulkley some successfully and others not as much. I have always loved standing in the river and listening to the constant motion of the water before feeling that ever elusive tug at the end of my line.

 
Picture is from the Skeena River west of Terrace, BC my brother and a friend of his on a beautiful summer day.

Please Share your story and pictures at
http://pnwfishing.webs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment