Monday, January 21, 2013

January 20th, 2013

Hi Folks

Right now I am living in Seattle, WA and it is January. In Seattle it is not particularly cold compared to what I am used to in Canada but this morning I woke up and it was right around freezing. However, when I walked outside I could not see the houses across the street from me. The whole area was enveloped in fog. So today I have decided to write about fog. Now you might be wondering why I might talk about fog on a fishing blog, but stick with me here.

 A few years ago I was headed out of the Prince Rupert harbour for a 3 day fishing trip. It was around 5:30 am when I got to the boat, and just like this morning, it was foggy as can be. Visibility was probably around 100 meters (110 yards), or so we thought while we were at the dock. So we packed the boat and set off slowly following our gps track from previous trips. We slowly ventured out into the harbour being very careful to avoid debris in the water and other boats. Believing the visibility to be good enough we sped up a little. After around 5 minutes of cruising I was scanning the water ahead when out of nowhere seemed to rise a huge wall. We were less than 50 m from a giant container ship and we were staring at the bow end of this vessel.

Now had we had radar this would not have been an issue but it is lucky for us that we were not cruising at 20 knots or we would have become a bug splat on the side of this behemoth. We carefully manoeuvred our way out of the harbour and ended up following a radar enabled trawler from Alaska. We emerged from the fog to a beautiful sunny day and gave the folks from Alaska a quick honk. Anyways, I just thought of this story as I looked at the fog outside today and I thought I would share it with you guys.

Thanks for reading and if you have a fog story of your own please visit my website and post it to the forum.

Web Address: http://pnwfishing.webs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment